Sometimes you’re busy, rushed or just straight up late in the mornings and a cup of coffee is not going to cut it for breakfast. You need something filling but you also want to be sure that it doesn’t ruin your healthy eating streak. Your fridge is literally empty (basically) and so it is looking like at this rate you are either going to have to try to chew water for breakfast or break down and stop for a baked good on the way to work. Sigh. Ever felt that conundrum in the morning?
I certainly have and I’m here to say that with a little bit of planning, you can save yourself the morning headaches by making some healthy muffin options. Having some hearty muffins to grab on your way out the door are an easy way to keep you full until your next meal.
To ease that burden of the endless Pinterest scroll, searching mindlessly for the perfect healthy muffin recipe, the team at Fit Foodie Finds curated a list of the best of the best recipes out there. To say I am excited to try some of these combinations is an understatement! The best part of their post is that they start you off with a solid base recipe to get you going, allowing you to give each batch of muffins your own unique twist.
If you’re ready to get your mornings started off on a better foot, take a look at Fit Foodie Finds post on all things healthy muffins and let us know your thoughts!
If you’re like me, you keep your grocery shopping list on your phone so you can easily add those random items you will otherwise forget. When I’m recipe hunting though, I feel like sometimes the posts can make it tough to copy and paste the ingredients into a note on your phone.
So in case this helps one person, here’s the base ingredients list for the healthy muffins!
- White whole wheat flour
- Coconut sugar or brown sugar*
- Baking soda
- Ground cinnamon
- Pureed fruit (choose one base):
- 1 – 2 bananas
- 2 eggs
- Unsweetened almond milk (or any kind of milk)
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut oil
Spice it up with some of these add-ins
Below are some of my current, favorite ways to spice up my own morning muffins.
For a Carrot Cake Vibe:
- Use applesauce for pureed fruit
- 1/4 cup crushed nuts
- 1/4 shredded carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
For a Banana Bread Vibe:
- Use mashed bananas for your pureed fruit
- 1/4 cup crushed nuts
For Fall Vibes:
- Use applesauce for your pureed fruit
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
Other flavor ideas:
- 1/4 cup crushed nuts with 1/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 1.5 – 2 cups of grated zucchini with 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup berries (any kind)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- You can substitute a 1/2 cup brown sugar for coconut sugar, if not available
- Make a batch of mini muffins for kiddos to enjoy with you!
However you end up making them, enjoy!